The Lincolnshire Open Research and Innovation Centre (LORIC) is delivered by Bishop Grosseteste University and part-funded by the European Regional Development Funds Programme.
LORIC is working to promote a different way of thinking about data for businesses across Greater Lincolnshire.
University researchers and data experts are on hand to guide businesses through using data and Open Data to grow and innovate.
LORIC also aims to promote the creation of Open Data sets.
LORIC is based in the newly renovated St Hughes building on Newport, Lincoln which has been designed to provide a high tech collaboration space for researchers, organisations and local businesses.
Open Data is data that is available in a form that everyone can access, modify, use, re-produce and combine with other information,
however, not everyone is aware of how to harness its potential.
The key to Open Data is that it is free from restrictions on use, for example that it can be used for commercial, as well as for research purposes.
Open Data does not necessarily mean free data, but it must be made available for no more than reasonable reproduction or maintenance costs.
Increasingly, Open Data is driving innovations for large corporations and forward thinking start-ups.
Businesses are using Open Data to exploit gaps in the market, identify business opportunities, create new products and develop new business models.
LORIC brings this important shift to Greater Lincolnshire and makes it accessible to local businesses.
LORIC can use a wide range of data in a variety of ways, depending on the needs of the business. Some examples of how we have helped our current beneficiaries include:
- Evaluations of current data and data processes
- Developing data bases
- Using data already held in new ways such as combining it with Open data in order to explore further meaning
- Analysing current and new data sets
- Providing market reports
- Creating “Social Return for Investment” reports
- Gathering data to support with planning and bid writing
- Creating surveys and focus groups for market research
- Evaluations of products available in the market
- Support with data management
- Support with brainstorming your new product or service ideas
- Support with making your business digital
- Support to open up data sets
The work we do varies according to the organisation’s needs and LORIC can work to put a bespoke data support package in place for your business.
LORIC’s aim is to support data driven growth and innovation. It achieves this through bespoke project work, and also through the delivery of:
- Data Clinics
- Data Events
- Live Stream Open Data Institute lectures
- Networking events
- See our Eventbrite page for more details and to book a place
LORIC can also offer state-of-the-art facilities for businesses in our Boardroom, Collaboration Space and Conference Room, as well as occasional hot-desking facilities in our IT suite.
LORIC also has a Digitisation Suite that is available for use by our internal team and external agencies.